Bananas Foster (Kind Of)
This recipe makes enough filling for two 10" crepes.
2 tbsp salted butter
2 bananas, sliced into coins
4 average sized dates or 3 large dates, diced
1/4 c. brown sugar (we used dark brown, but I bet light brown works just as well)
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Heat a medium-sized pan over medium until well and truly hot.
2. Add the butter to the center of the pan and melt.
3. Add the bananas and dates. Toss gently to coat.
4. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon.
5. Toss gently to coat. (You can use a spoon to stir/flip, but the bananas need a gentle touch.)
6. Cook 2-3 minutes, until bananas are cooked through and brown sugar has melted into a gorgeous, sticky brown sauce.
7. Serve as crepe filling or over vanilla ice cream with candied walnuts.
- To make it more summery, add shredded coconut or another tropical fruit.
- OR serve with coconut ice cream
- To make it more autumnal, add a pinch of cloves and a pinch of nutmeg for that pumpkin pie flavor
- OR make a pumpkin-flavored custard to accompany this sorta-bananas-foster in the crepe