Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Fig Eater by Jody Shields

I know, it's totally lame to have a list of books I'm currently reading in my "about me" information and then not keep it up to date, but seriously, I read this one so fast I would have had to take it off that list almost as soon as I posted it. Here's the weird thing: I'm not even sure it's that good a book.

It's very atmospheric - more description than plot, really. But that fits the time period: all brooding turn-of-the-century Vienna with it's repressed Victoria mores. And I had a little trouble following the chronology. Or maybe I didn't. See, that's the thing: I'm not sure if events were described from different points of view out of order or if they were just repeated. And it doesn't help that there aren't that many "events" to begin with. What events there are tend to happen many days or weeks apart and never seem to be that long. It's a mystery wherein the Inspector never seems to interrogate anyone for more than five minutes. But maybe those were the times.

I didn't spend any time thinking about it when I wasn't reading it, but I couldn't put it down once I picked it up. What is that all about?

No comments: