Friday, January 16, 2009

Semantics

Is it just me or has the whole world forgotten the actual meaning of the word "miracle"? I think it's great that all those people survived that plane crash in New York, but it wasn't a miracle. It was good planning, good training, a competent crew and plenty of good samaritans. The news media have to choose: either everything's a miracle and there's no point in training or safety regulations, or some things aren't miracles, they're just really good people doing their jobs really well. A real miracle is when a plane falls out of the air into a marshmallow factory and everyone on board is cushioned in a pillow of pure joy.

2 comments:

Joe Streckert said...

Yes! Yesyesyes! Here, you are absolutely correct in every way.

Yes.

Sydney said...

I am going to cross-stitch that comment and hang it on my wall at work. And when anyone contradicts me, I'm going to point to it. Eventually I won't even look at people who enter my cube. I'll just point to my little mantra.